Sunday, July 26, 2020

Summer Vacation 2020 - Rainbow River - Days 6 & 7

Day 6

As mentioned in the last post, driving out of Florida, it looked like a 2 hourish back up coming in on I-95. Some quick research showed that it was the ONLY road where they were stopping traffic.   How incredibly stupid I thought, but started mapping out other options.

US 17 was out as it is I-95 in that stretch.   I figured US 301 or US 441.   I looked at both and to our destination, it was only 5 miles less using US 301, but it also offered the advantage of less interstate driving.  I have found since I can't drive 70-80 mph in the coach, the lesser traveled roads don't impact our time very much and are much more relaxing to drive on with less traffic.


This route only put us on about 4 miles of Interstate that I could have easily avoided leaving the campground, but I knew there was a good gas station right next to I-95.  From there is was all US highways (17, 84, 90, 1, and 301) all the way to Gainesville, FL.  All of the driving north of Jax, was new roads for me so that's a plus!

Lucy liked the Florida sign on US 301/ 1 as we entered, but didn't get a pic and I didn't want to stop so here is the google street view of it.

It had that mid century feel with the breeze bricks that were so popular back then.

Major Tommy on navigation duty while the rest of the Stuffy Patrol was in their relaxation period.  This was on US 301 south of Starke, FL.   We stopped a short time later on the south side of Gainesville, having skated around the east and then south side of town.   I gassed up on Williston Rd (FL 121) and headed out of town. 

We got a later than desired start leaving close to 11 AM for a 6 hour drive..  This put us leaving G-ville shortly after 4 PM and traffic was getting a little heavy with daily commute.   As I was lumbering along the two lane country road people were going around me even though I was doing about 55-60. 

Earlier in the day (around the time of the pic above) I had noticed that the sun visor on the front was vibrating a lot.  So I'm humming along and had just received my in flight service of a beverage, pub pretzels and smoked almonds, when BOOM there is a loud noise and I instantly realize the sun shade is gone off the front of the coach!

File photo of the coach with the visor over the windshield installed as purchased.

As the PO Kerri told me, her father bought the coach around 2000 and had it painted, updated, and the visor and wheel well covers installed.   So, apparently the adhesive they used was only good for 20 years. 

Back to the moment....BOOM, holy crap!  I yell out, VISOR GONE and look to the rear view, expecting it to come crashing down on the Mini behind me, but I don't see it (rearward vision is only directly behind me).  There is no shoulder, only deep grass so I'm loathe to pull off. 

I'm coasting now, as I know I NEED to stop.  I see a driveway with a locked gate and it's just long enough for me to pull into and get off the road.   I figure it's probably a half mile now and I don't want to have to walk carrying it (I have no idea how heavy it is, if it's salvageable, etc._  The only thing I DO know is that, no one got hurt and I am very happy about this, as it easily could have gone into incoming traffic and done bad things.

Dammit, my snack has to wait, but I guzzle my drink walk 10 ft and say, hell with this and go back inside (after a quick look at the damage up top).   Looks like the adhesive gave it up and the bolts were only there to hold it in place until the glue dried (they all pulled out).

Six holes over the middle of the windshield, and two more on each side (not pictured).  This is after we parked at the campground.   Things on the side of the road, were fast and furious, no time for pics.

Lucy stood in the road and waved me to back out onto the state road when traffic broke.  She ran over and jumped in (I didn't stop for her) and we headed back looking at a lower speed before traffic caught up to us.    I must have gotten out of the gas fast as it was only about 1/4 mile down the road in the grass on the side we were traveling it.   My best guess is it let go on the driver's side first (were  I saw it vibrating), and  lifted spinning off to the right and landing on the edge of the asphalt and quickly sliding into the grass.

This is evidenced by the lack of severe damage to it.  Lucy spotted it in the grass as I was still driving.  I pulled off on the shoulder and ran across the road to retrieve it.   The whole operation from hull separation to retrieval was at max 5 minutes.  I made another 3 point turn (unassisted this time) and we were back on course for the Rainbow system.


Right after retrieval, and close up of damage after arriving at the campground.  
Minor scuffing from a short slide.   From the location of the scrapes, I have a good idea how it landed.

All hands made a damage report, but none was visible from inside the craft.  We arrived at the campground and I realized I had reserved site 13.   Coincidence?   I think not in retrospect (read on!)  We get checked in an head to the site.  I buy firewood, but then we never use it  (loaded for next trip!).

We hook up and I survey the damage. get my bathing suit on and head for the 72 degree spring fed river.   It feels fabulous.   We splash around for a bit and then get out as it starts pouring rain and we are basically all cooled off.   We shelter under a picnic shelter and wait for it to pass (15 min) and then pedal back to the coach.

A quick check shows that the rain is not our friend with the new holes and water poured in all over the dash.  Unfortunately it is now too wet to tape anything.

Fl gets hot and steamy in the summer time!  That is steam coming up off the asphalt after 20 min of rain, so you know it was hot.

We cook up dinner, but use the griddle inside to make fajitas as it was pretty wet out.  Finished up and looked out and it was clear!   Grabbed the Binocs and the bike and waited for Lucy to come out.  My plan was to ride down to the river for best NW viewing.  She came out about 5 min later which allowed my eyes to adjust to the dark a bit.  I peddled about 2 sites down and rounded a corner that THERE IT WAS in all it's naked eye glory.    I did NOT expect a naked eye viewing but damn, there it was.   Obviously, Dunnellon is a lot darker that where we were before. (and being north of town helped).

I took out the binocs anyway for a better view than went back to the coach and got the less than impressed teenager out to come look at it (one day she will appreciate it).  Not only had I spotted the comet, shared the experience with my enthusiastic son, but now I was seeing it with my own eyes and no equipment other than my glasses.   It was a little emotional for me as a life long dream I carried for over 45 years had been realized....  Unfortunately, I didn't have a good enough camera to take pics with.

We retired back to the coach and played some more games....then off to sleep.

Day 7

So a week in!   I'm the early riser in the family and I slept in until after 9AM ( workdays I'm up at 5:45).   As we wanted to float the river, I got rolling very slowly, knowing it is only a 2hr float.  So anyway, by the time I finally rolled over to the river and talked to the lady in the gift shop, found out as a camper with my own floaty, it was $10 for the tram ride back up (2 miles) and you could go as many times as you like, so long as you are in the river by 3PM (last tram at 5).

She gave me the waivers to sign and I headed back to the campsite.  I think we had chocolate chip pancakes (again) and then I blew up the floaties which did take some time as they were big.  By the time we got back to pay, it was already 1PM! 

So we set off and got in the river.  We had fun and 2 hours later we were at the end of the run.  At first I wanted to hurry up as it was only 2:30 and we could squeeze in a 2nd float.   Mother Nature had other ideas as soon after we got out, the sky turned black, the wind cranked up and the tropical deluge started to descend upon us.   Right about the time they were loading the tram, they pulled everyone who was not a camper off it to wait and they sent us out to return to the campground. 

The wind was probably 30 mph and the rain was coming in sideways.  After 2 hours on the river in 72 degree water, I was COLD and started shivering (watch me in the video).   It was a full on adventure ride back to the campground.

Shuffling through the water back to the site, Naya asked if I was going to the coach first.  As this was a really good question (it was still pouring), I said, no, hitting the shower for warm water pronto.   Luck was on my side as someone left a whole bottle of shampoo and body wash, so I used them to get all nice and clean. 

Walked back to the coach and got dried off and relaxed until it was time for dinner.  Again it was super wet outside, so we stayed in to cook.  After dinner we watched the video we shot on the river and played some more games until it was bed time.   Too cloudy for comet viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment