Thursday, November 23, 2023

Turkey Day!

 I was smart enough to turn off my work alarm on my phone as it was a holiday.  I still woke up at my normal time and was greeted by the sunrise when I rolled out the door 15 min later. 

It was interesting as when I left the coach for a stroll, it was 64 degrees, but an hour and half later it was 61.  Ususally not how it works around here.   Once the sun cleared the cloud deck it warmed though.

With a full moon just 2 days away, the tides were up a bit and each morning we were there. This dock was submerged each  morning.  You can see the pilings for the walk over to Scout Island.

High tide next to our site.  Our site had mangroves directly behind it, so we had to use the edge of the neighbor's site to launch our craft.    I was concerned when we arrived that this was the high tide line, but a week ago we had a storm up and down the coast that pushed a couple feet of surge in and this was the remnants (per campers that had been there for a week).

While the girls slept, Lucy and I ate our breakfast and pedaled over to the beach (10 min) to check the surf.  I have surfed this spot many times over the years.  It was semi-clean and quasi rideable.  No one was out, although in the 20 min we hung out I did see a couple of rideable waves with decent shoulders come through.

As we got a slow start (lazy day), we headed back and started to prepare the mashed potatos we were bringing for dinner.  Coral baked a yummy Pineapple Upside Down cake to compliment it (at home).   We finished the taters, cleaned up and headed 30 min up A1A to my sister's place.

If you have ever watched a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, you get the joke here.  I asked her why there wasn't buttered toast.......   I skipped on the jelly beans but the pretzels (even the proper type) and popcorn were good.

Next up was the Angry Birds veggie platter.   It was actually a Turkey, but it was the Angry Bird lol.   It was good and I over ate on the appetizers as I skipped lunch.

This cheese ball looked more like a proper turkey with pretzel feathers and it also was quite good.

Dinner and dessert were great (sorry no pics).   We hung out and then drove back to the campground.  It was a nice clear night and fairly dark despite all the lights on the campground and the near full moon.   I was able to see the Orion Nebula easily in my Binoculars although Jupiter was too close to the moon so no moons of Jupiter were visible.  I looked for the Andromeda galaxy as well, but the moon washed it out.   It was late so didn't bother with a campfire.

We did notice on the way in that the Thanksgiving decorations on several sites now had inflatable Christmas Trees up!


No comments:

Post a Comment