Sunday, August 27, 2017

Day 4 - We're not in FL anymore!

Day 3 follow up:
When we pulled into the campground the evening before, I dragged the bike rack on the ground going up the hill.  I have a leak in the passenger side airbag.  It was a slow leak since I got the coach.  It would go down over the course of several days.  Well, why the Pineapple was at the shop, the leak got worse as it goes down in under 24 hours now.  

I thought about changing it before the trip with a spare used bag I have, but figured that I didn't want to mess with anything that was more or less working ok.   I have a 110V air compressor as a PO (previous owner) decided it would be a good idea to disconnect the original air system and cut all the lines.   This was actually on my list of things to do before the engine rebuild diverted all coach funds.

So just before dinner I pull out the compressor (worked fine that morning) to level out the coach for sleeping that night.  I attach it and turn it on, however, the coach isn't moving up....I fiddle with it and notice that the rubber seal in the part that snaps on the schrader valve has split.   UGGGH, the coach has sunk more now with me letting out air while fiddling with it and there is no way I can drive off the site now....


 So that brings us back to Tuesday morning.  We tried to make a fix with some sealant we had, but it didn't seat for me and couldn't get the bag to inflate.   Well there was a Walmart 5 miles away from the park.  I pull off the bikes for the first time on the trip and set off.  The driveway just beyond the picture above becomes very steep.  I put it in first gear and was standing on the pedals and barely got up the hill.   Crap, this bike ride is going to suck!   I get to the top of the hill huffing and puffing and stop to look at my phone as I didn't recall if it was a right or left to go to Wally World.

Nearby the campground host, pokes his head out and asks me where I'm riding off too this morning.  I tell him of my woe with the compressor and he says come over here.  He pulls out a nice RYOBI one and says hop in my golf cart.  We wheel back to the site and low and behold, Lucy managed to get the bag filled.  We check it out with his to see the pressure and it's all right on the money.

At this point, I'm ready to go but Tommy needs his lakeside photo shoot first, so I ready the coach for flight while Tommy works on his modeling..






What's this?  A Blue Heron 20 miles from Nashville?  I would have never guessed!


Beautiful Lake, wish we had more time to hang out there.

The long view of our campsite just before we left.

First stop was WalMart to get a new compressor (put that issue to bed for now), and then back on the road again heading to KY!


Once we got into central TN, we started seeing the signs for prepare folks for the expect influx of people into the path of totality.   Heading into Nashville, the traffic was pretty heavy for 11 AM on a Tuesday.  Made it through okay and then headed north.  I was surprised that it was close to an hour before we got into KY.   We stopped at the visitor center for the obligatory photos



Who should we run into but Lucy's Dad!   Yes we were meeting up later that day in Cave City, KY, but the random roadside meeting was unexpected.

We chatted for a few and then set off in different directions as we were stopping in Franklin, KY to visit a friend of mine.   I met Julie online and commissioned her to draw a picture of my old blue wagon.  I then met her and her boyfriend Billy this year in Daytona at the Spring Car Show there.


We parked right in front of their shop and had a nice visit.  We ate lunch in a cafe across the street and then headed out of town to get to our campsite and meet up with Lucy's dad...

It was a quick hour drive and we arrived in short order.  Here we are getting ready to start the dinner fire. This was our first time in a private RV park as usually we use State Parks and the like.


We called it an early night as we wanted to be at the cave early to get on a tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment