Saturday, November 21, 2020

Dry Dock Results Post

 I had arranged for a fairly quick turn around on the new flywheel install, as we had a trip planned for the day after I picked it up.

I had discussed with the shop, to 1. replace the flywheel, 2. install the new speedo cable. and 3.  try to identify where the leak on the driver's side was coming in.   I said that 2 and 3 were optional if they had the time.   Well they got 1 and 2 done so I was happy.  I knew the leak is a lot more time consuming, so didn't expect that.   Until we resolve it, we can't really move forward on the interior remodel.

My good friend Scott agreed to shuttle my back to Okeechobee to pick it up Sat. morning.   We were going to leave around 8:30, but then he called me the night before with a conflict.   He had to drop his oldest off at Boy Scout camp in  Jupiter FL at 7:30.    Not a big deal and it's on his way really, so they collected me at 6:30 and we went to breakfast after dropping his boy off.  

We picked the coach up right as it started to rain.  So I chatted with a couple that were there looking at coaches to buy.   I answered a few questions about the reality of driving a 45 year old motorhome.  They seemed nice, I hope they get one :)  

Getting ready to pull out of Sirum's and head back home. Photo by Flash Gumby

The ride home was interesting as the rear bags were jacked up pretty high and the wind was about 15+ broadside, so she was a handful.   I stopped for gas and let air out of the bags and she was a lot easier after that.

Action photo on the BeeLine Highway heading back toward WPB.  Photo by Flash Gumby

Jeff gave me the old flywheel as a souvenir and you can see the carnage.


The starter only had about 5K on it like the engine, but the bendix got chewed up a bit too.   I had a spare one from our KY trip and took it with.  They wisely used it.   I'm told, I can swap the bendix sprocket out, so I'll do that and this will become my spare.

The speedo cable also gave them issues as the holes didn't line up (I had figured that out), so they dremeled out the hole to make it work.   After cursing my head off for 3 hours on the Prairie earlier this year, I was happy to pay the labor for this. Is nice to have a speedometer again after about a year (and I figure about 2000 miles).

I got home around 1PM and immediately started prepping for out departure the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment