Monday, September 4, 2017

Day 6. Spelunking in Mammoth Cave.

Thursday, August 15th.  I wake up around 0830, and I go and have some breakfast.  After breakfast, we get in the car to go to our 10 o'clock tour, which is the Domes and Dripstones tour.  The tour has us get on a bus to transport the tour to another entrance.  I met this kid named Foxe, and we talked about the Hunger Games, and how much this forest looked like the forest in that movie. When we were going into the cave, it was literally a door in the side of a rock.  The door led to a small set of stairs, and we walked down this set of stairs for 15 mins or so.  Near the end, Foxe and his family caught up to us, and we were talking about how much cave crickets looked like spiders.  When we were exiting, we went through a set of rotating doors, and walked out into the hot, bright, real world. My family saw a bus that had room for 4 more people, and we hopped on. The bus left, and when we got back, we went into the hotel gift shop.  I was looking around to see if I could find a shirt I liked. (all the ones I liked they didn't have my size)  I picked one out that I liked (that they had in my size)  We had lunch in the hotel restaurant, and afterwards it was time to go to the trog tour.



 We walked over, and at first, I thought I was gonna be the only girl there. I was wrong, there was another girl there. I went into a room, where they had all the caving supplies.  I was the tallest, and I got the XL outfit. (They are designed for kids)  They went over safety rules, showed us how to put on our helmets, and led us outside.  After all the parents got done taking pictures, we went to the historic entrance, and went in the cave for the 3rd time.  We stayed on the path until giants coffin, then jumped over the railing, and branched off from the path.  We went through a cave a couple times, and then went deeper.  There were some times where we had to crawl on our hands and knees, and other parts we had to crawl on our stomach. (those were the fun parts)  We went to this hole called the Worm Hole, which leads to a room called the Spaceship, which was a dead end.  The tour guide had us turn off our lights, and he turned on a lighter, showing us what it was like in the old days. After that he turned off his lighter, showing us complete darkness.  We crawled back out and started climbing back towards the surface. I was sad, and I didn't want the tour to end.
 But every good thing must end. After the tour, we went back to our campsite and relaxed. We had dinner, and soon it was time to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment