Monday, September 25, 2017

Day 8 - Adventures in Plumbing!

Okay so now that Jeannie had joined us, our Solar Eclipse Expedition was complete.   We loaded up and rolled out of the Singing Hills RV park, but I took a few photos on the way out.   Nice place.  Owner Eldon is SUPER friendly guy and interesting to talk to as well.
Our Spot for the 4 nights we were there.

Nice New Shasta Retro Trailer.  All the look of a Canned Ham with modern conveniences 

I'm doing this wrong.  These people have corporate sponsors!

Parting view just before we left.

As Jeannie had missed the previous days at Mammoth Cave we went back and did the self guided tour as all the others were sold out (people flooding in for the eclipse).  We stopped for a photo op first!

The tour was about a mile walk (half a mile each way) into the areas we had already seen.  We spent about 90 minutes in the cave again as it's so cool in there.
We packed it in and headed west!  We only had about 125 miles to go this Saturday so it was close to noon when we left the Cave.    5 minutes into the trip, the girls are screaming about a water leak.... WTH?  I don't have any water on board (or so I thought).   I managed to crack an old brittle fill line to the water tank which we didn't fill, but was now 3/4 full.  Apparently a check valve was letting the shore water into the tank when we were hooked up at the campground.

I figure out pretty quickly that it's not a stop event just yet.  I have Lucy rustle up the nearest Home Depot/Lowes and it's only a mile or two out of our way.  So we head off so I can buy parts for repairs.

Fixing the hose from the fill outlet to tank.

New hose and my plumbing nightmare and water heater.

The ancient hose that cracked and the tape that didn't do anything to slow down the leak.

It's hot out (90s) and I'm sweating my butt off but we get it all squared away in about 40 minutes of so.  In the meantime, Lucy's Dad went to the grocery store and got us some sandwiches and stuff, so we maximized the stop.  
Back on the road and aside from a stop for gas, it was a pretty enjoyable drive on a US highway.   Not alot of traffic and easy cruising about 65mph.   We arrived at the campground around 4PM or so.

This was the slopey spot.   I got the coach evened out from left to right, but the front was definitely uphill.  Lucy and I had the coach to ourselves and it was tricky sleeping.  The first night we tried head toward the front but my knees collapsed and I woke up in a squat.....so the next two nights I slept head down and that was alot better.

We took a walk down to the lake and I wasn't impressed with the beach.  Muddy squishy bottom and pee pee warm water made for a less than enjoyable swim. Got showered off and back up to the site for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment