Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Day off of work, so sure I'll go 400 miles for a tiki drink.

 A couple weeks ago at the GMC rally I talked with Jeff at Sirum's GMC about getting some work done.  I scheduled last Thursday as I had the day off (I had to work the weekend though).   After breakfast I fired up the compressor as the air bag leaks slowly and pumped it up.  Pulled the coach out and proceeded to unload all the crap in the way of the work I am having done.   Chairs, the dinette table (more room for stuff). I then loaded up my Honda 4010 generator (had pulled it out of the garage a couple days earlier as it was buried in the front of the garage).

Got everything loaded and off I went heading up the Beeline to Okeechobee.  


It being a weekday, traffic was light and I made good time.   As I wasn't working I didn't pay a lot of attention to the time and arrived right at noon.   Of course the whole crew had just left for lunch.   Lucy was following me in the minivan but was about 45 minutes behind me (factoring in the time I needed to discuss the work, etc.)   

I parked the coach around in the campground area.  She was in good company.


I had mentioned this bus in the last installment but didn't have pics.  Apparently there were 11 I think Jeff said that plied the Miami International Airport back before the concourses were all connected.  and airport shuttle complete with proper bus doors.   This one has been here a long time and is firmly rooted.

I decided to walk down the road to Zaxby's and have lunch.  I ordered and ate, then ordered Lucy's food so it would be hot.   Just as I got it, she arrived and picked me up and we went back to the shop.  Perfect timing as Jeff and Bob pulled in right behind us.   

Lucy ate her lunch while we talked shop and went over everything.  They are busy right now and luckily, we aren't in any hurry so we shall be back in a few weeks to pick her up.

Many of you know that Lucy has a Circus School.  She had found out about a Tiffin mat (great mats) that she could use from a gymnastics school that was closing.  It was advertised and a good price.....but was in Sanford, FL.    Three hours from home, but only two from Okeechobee.   

So off we went up 441 to Yeehaw Junction to grab the Turnpike. 

A year ago December a Semi plowed into it in the early morning...


I stopped on our initial voyage home in the Pineapple and grabbed a pic of my daughter poking her head out the window of the coach.


Over the years, the old Inn has become a waypoint on my travels.   Sure it was a dump, but it was storied old Florida and it'll be missed.

Anyway, on to the turnpike and around O-town on the east side on 417.  Clear sailing and no I-4.  I hate I-4.  Worst traffic in Florida IMHO.   Anyway we get to the gymnastics place and of course the girl isn't there.  She's coming in ten minutes, which is actually 30.   By now it's after 4PM and I have an idea.

About 2 years ago a legit tiki bar opened called the Suffering Bastard and it's in Sanford.   I google it up and sure enough it's about 5 minutes away.   Sweet, they open at 5 and darnit I'm going to go have drink there.

The mat purchase is a pass as the mats are old and tired and overpriced.  Win some, lose some....but drinks ahoy!

We roll up to the address and there isn't a tiki bar to be seen. The place looks more like a pool hall.  I double check and yep this is the address.  Lucy is skeptical, but I say it's hiding in there somewhere and we go in.  I had seen a side patio and figure it's connected with that.   I was wrong, but it put me on the right path.   

We walk into a big open room and through toward the patio, but into a dark room with a pool table and bar shuffleboard.  I look to my right and there is a hallway and I see bamboo.   BINGO!

We roll in about 10 min after 5 and are the first guests of the day.  We chat and I decide on trying of course the original SB.   It comes in an uber cool new mug that they just got but are already sold out of.  They only have 3 for the bar I was told :(  

The bar is small (holds about 35 people max) and we got lucky as it's usually really hard to get into, especially on the weekends.

As it's slow, we get to chat with the bartender a good bit and we talk about the bar, drinks, rums, and the Hukilau.   My second drink was a Cobra's Fang which I loved the presentation of.  The snake is a fresh peeled lemon rind with clove eyes and a burning cinnamon stick in it.   We also had some tapas that were pretty good.   

Time flew and we were there for 2 hours!   Time to go.  Back in the car and 3 hours home.   I was out of the house for 12 hours and went 403 miles per google.   DISCLAIMER:  Lucy drove and behaved herself with only the one drink, then food and water.





No comments:

Post a Comment