Monday, April 12, 2021

GMC Rally Day 2 continued and Day 3.

 I hadn't mentioned it yet, but the rally was held at ZACHARY TAYLOR RV RESORT.  The owners and people there were super nice and accommodating for us.  We don't normally stay at RV parks, but I would stay here again.  They had a pool, shuffle board, ping pong and a few other things.   They are also right on Taylor Creek about 200 yards from a lock to get into the lake.

A couple of the local folks had pontoon boats and had them tied up at the dock.   The rally hosts Don and Bob had theirs and as Mike sorta kinda works with Don,  we took his boat out.  We looked around for 10-15 min and no one wanted to go for a ride, so off we went.

This boat had an aluminum roof which was really nice and shady. and with just the two of us on it, plenty of room.  This is the perimeter canal which doesn't go all the way around the lake, but in this shot we are looking west with the Herbert Hoover Dyke on the left.   Up in the distance a couple miles is where the Kissimmee River hits the lake.   We didn't go that far up that way.  We turned around and headed back when Don called looking for his boat lol.   

Others were now waiting, so we zipped back to the dock.   The green line on the picture below shows ride 1.

The orange line shows boat ride number 2.  This time I jumped on the other boat and was out in the sun, but had put SPF 50 on so was good to go.  This was a much longer trip as we cruise SE to the end of that canal, then back up past the boat owners home (a little side canal near the resort).  Then all the way up Taylor Creek to State Road 70 and a couple of blocks from Sirum's. 

Smartly the Burger King had built a path from the creek side up to the restaurant for hungry boaters.  Apparently the day before there were Manatees right there next to 70 eating.  They weren't around when we went by.   We headed back to the dock and soon enough it was time for dinner.

After the group dinner, the couple from NH set up an amp and Mic and they performed a set of mostly cover songs and the crowd was appreciative of the live music.   I went back to my coach for a drink and actually missed their whole set as I got talking to a couple of folks outside and then needed another drink, and by the time I walked back in, they were wrapping up.  ooops!

A few people were playing cards so I sat down to check it out. They were playing Hand and Foot, which I never heard of.   I didn't play, but watched them complete their game.   It looked fun.

Afterwards, more chatting outside. then went over to Russell and Jenny's coach for a nightcap and more talking until bedtime.  

DAY 3

Today was pretty short as it was breakfast and cleanup.   I stayed around talking for a bit and then looked at the radar and knew I had to start packing up to go.   As I was alone and the bike never hit the ground (after I took the time to fix the flat and clean it up), it didn't take long to pack up the coach.   They had full hookup on the site, so I dumped my black tank right there while talking, and then after washing my  hands,  I gave the California couple a tour of my coach as they said they wanted to do theirs in a tropical tiki theme.   I regret not getting their contact info now as they were pretty cool people.  Maybe they will still be around when I go back in 10 days.

I rolled out just before noon and headed south on 441.  I decided to skip the Beeline Hwy for a relaxing drive through the sugarcane.   It's about a half hour longer, but I wasn't in a hurry and the change of scenery was nice.  Here I am going over Port Mayaca bridge which is where the Intercoastal Waterway enters the Lake on the east side.   Again a blind photo, apologies for the ugly dog curtain dash cover reflection. You can see the lock by my mirror.

A better shot of the lake out my side of the windshield.  The lake looks like the ocean as you can't see the other sides.  Lake Okeechobee is the largest freshwater lake in the state of Florida. It is the eighth largest natural freshwater lake among the 50 states of the United States and the second largest natural freshwater lake contained entirely within the contiguous 48 states. - Wikipedia.   It has an average depth of only 9ft so it's not real deep.

I had clear and sunny sailing all the way home.  It only started to cloud over while I was unloading.   I got everything out and just as I was going to park it,  yep it started to rain.   I went inside and made a sandwich.  Before I could eat it, it stopped, so I quickly put it back into space dock and it started raining again 15 min later (before I finished the sandwich).

Thanks for tuning in, and she'll be back out for a maintenance run in 10 days.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment